Responsible business club
Global Compact Network Macedonia
With over 12 000 participants from the business and other sectors from more than 130 countries, the Global Compact is the largest voluntary initiative for corporate social responsibility (CSR) in the world. Announced by Kofi Annan in 1999 and officially created on 25 July 2000 in the UN in New York, the Global Compact is an initiative which encourages the application of socially responsible policies. The ten principles on which the Global Compact is based apply to the following areas: human rights, labour, environment and fight against corruption. By respecting these principles, the private sector, as a driving force of the global development, additionally and voluntarily contributes to the development of the society in which it acts. The social, political and economical challenges call for close collaboration between the business sector, the governments, the civil society and the UN. United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) was activated in Macedonia by UNDP in December 2004. Currently, the Global Compact Network Macedonia is comprised of 49 companies, non-governmental organisations and other members. This is the first network in the country aimed at improving the corporate social responsibility. The Secretariat of the Global Compact Network Macedonia is located in the Konekt association.
Some benefits from the membership in the networks are the following:
- Improvement of business relations and networking
- Opportunity for cooperation with other enterprises, organisations and civil associations on corporate social responsibility related issues
- Participation in common intersectoral innitiatives and projects aimed at relevant social issues
- Receiving support for a development of socially responsible practices and reporting on them
- Sharing information, experiences, knowledge and good practices on local, regional and global level
- Participation in workshops, seminars and mentoring opportunities
- Inclusion in global initiatives
- Promotion of the socially responsible practices through the electronic newsletter of the Network
If you want to be part of the Global Compact Network Macedonia, contact Konekt on firstname.lastname@example.org .